Monday, July 22, 2013

You don't know what you don't know

At Mattersey Hall, our principal teaches a "mock" course to potential students coming to visit the college during a preview weekend. The course is "What you didn't know you didn't know." Although I haven't attended the course, the title always makes me chuckle.

As I travel this PhD program journey, I realize that there is so much that I do not know. And so many things that I didn't know that I didn't know, but I really need to know.

I sat in a class this morning with vocabulary, suggestions, measurement devices, and other concepts being thrown around the world with such speed and veracity, I thought I was in the middle of a racquetball game. Only problem...I forgot my racket.

I didn't know I needed to know some of those things!

However, this is the process of learning. Examining areas where previous knowledge does not exists.

Learning - noun:

the acquisition of knowledge or skills through experience, practice, or study, or by being taught

So, this is where I am. Muddling through all of the things that I did not know I needed to know to think theoretically. My glossary is growing. My brain is active. My knowledge is building.

Now, I will never gain all the knowledge in the world or even in my particular area of research, however, at this stage I am investigating the areas I do not know. My platform of knowledge will increase, and will be filtered through my perspective and context. Eventually a foundational knowledge will be expanded and then built upon. Hopefully, this will continue to increase over the years, as learning & knowledge do simply with time and maturity, but will focus in upon the areas of study that will lead to a clear practical outworking of the research I am conducting. I look forward to this moment.

But for now, I don't know what I don't know... so... back to the library!

Have a great day, friends. Happy studying.

No comments:

Post a Comment